Sunday 18 January 2009

There's been ...

... a bit of a discussion on the imag-e-nation forum about spelling and grammar (yes, we're a strange lot sometimes - LOL!) because somebody had copied and pasted a verse directly onto a card without checking it and then found 3 spelling mistakes, which effectively ruined the card. People were saying that they'd put it through the spellchecker and couldn't find anything wrong but there were definitely 3 spelling mistakes and one grammatical one. I've always maintained that you need to be able to spell to use a spellchecker 'cos a spellchecker won't tell you if you've used the correct 'their' or 'there', 'place' or 'plaice' etc 'cos the words are spelt correctly but mean something completely different. Don't even get me started on apostrophe use and 'you're' and 'your' - LOLOL! Anyway, somebody posted a little poem which illustrates the point superbly so I've 'lifted' it and here it is. The sounds of the words make perfect sense but they're totally the wrong words - hehe!

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.


Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: