Tuesday 17 February 2009

What a ...

... disappointment! This morning I caught a glimpse of Bargain Hunt on the TV and one of the teams bought a set of WWI medals - the ones known as Pip, Squeak & Wilfred as earned by my paternal Grandad and mentioned in my blog last year. The team bought them from the dealer for £75 but when it came to auction they only fetched £40. OK, they'd obviously been cleaned and had new ribbons (no sign of the original ribbons) but surely they were worth more than that? The auctioneer said that the soldier's story was also important and in this particular case the soldier had started out as a Lance Corporal and ended up a Private - lol!! Perhaps it was that they didn't look 'right' but I've since found a set being sold on eBay for £52.50 and they're definitely not original as they're listed as 'accurate full size replicas'. I didn't expect Grandad's to be worth a lot in monetry value but thought they'd be worth more than £40! Perhaps they just weren't at the right auction. Anyway, it's made my mind up about whether to have his cleaned and ribbons replaced. Not going to as I like them the way they are. If I buy a 'replica' of the TFE medal to give his full complement then I may get new ribbons just to keep with them but not for any other reason. I've now found out which is which of the medals and Pip is the 1914-15 Star, Squeak is the British War Medal and Wilfred is the Victory Medal.

Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: