Sunday 7 June 2009

Just like a bus ...

... wait for hours then they all come along together *LOL*

Friday 5th ... Had to deliver the Baby Burco to Shoreham so decided to combine the trip with one to ............. yep, the Dogs Trust *hehe*. This time with box loads of videos and books from my place (been saving them to do a car boot but that ain't never gonna happen now!) and a few other bits and pieces. All done and back home by 1:30pm. Time to relax and rest leg, which had rather been through the mill the past few days. Had just finished a cuppa when phone rang. 'Twas a carer ringing me to tell me Dad was having problems walking. He'd pressed his emergency button (never used before in the 6 months he's had one) and it had taken 2 of the male carers to help him get from the bathroom to the sofa in the lounge. He'd asked them to ring me to let me know - apparently. Not sure what he expected from me - although I had my suspicions *lol*. I'd changed the walking frame to a slightly taller one so told them I'd drop it over to him. When I arrived he was walking, with his stick, but on his own and a handful of choccie biscuits *lol*! He tried the frame and seemed to get on well but what he didn't realise was that I saw him leave the frame and take a few steps, completely unaided, on his own - which he did regularly before his move as he didn't always use his stick. His care notes told me that he'd been refusing his pain killers all week but he'd taken some that morning. How can you make somebody understand that they need to take their medication otherwise there are consequences and his difficulty in walking is likely to be the consequence of not taking the medication? He told me he didn't need them but he obviously does because when he takes them he's able to walk - without them it's difficult.

While I was there a physiotherapist, ordered by his new GP, arrived so I thought I'd stay so that I knew what was happening. Suddenly Dad decided I didn't need to stay - *doh!* He was put through his paces and he actually surprised me with what he could do for her but can't, apparently, normally do for himself. He's not good on his feet and hasn't been for a long time but it seems he does have a good amount of strength in his legs and arms and a reasonable range of movement. Falls, although he has the odd one, are pretty rare. Physio had been with him 15 minutes when he suddenly snapped to me "are you still here?" Seems he really didn't want me seeing him performing for the physio. He wanted her to see him at his best so that he didn't have her keep calling but he didn't want me to see what his best was .... Sort of confirmed a few things to me in a way so it was worthwhile hanging on to see. The physio is going to call while he's in respite and it looks as though it may be a regular visit to get him exercising and stretching. Perhaps it's something his old surgery should have arranged years ago. Upshot was, I left him having his evening meal with instruction that he takes his painkillers as he should, that the carers will ring me if they think there's a need and that I would see him on Monday. Have I heard any more since Friday afternoon? Not a word! Bonus - it seems he's finally going to bed, unless .....

On another positive note - he actually did go to the coffee morning on Thursday and enjoyed it, he said. Not sure how long he stayed but the important thing is he went!

I've finally managed to have time to get all the backlog of paperwork and accounting done, shopping list for next weekend and had time to relax and watch my good friend Jak on Create and Craft TV this afternoon demonstrating the latest release in the La Pashe Flippin' range ... Flippin' Teenagers. Just love this set and my order will be going in tomorrow to the imag-e-nation eshop.

I've got a visit to my GP tomorrow for the results of my X-ray and blood tests. Have a feeling I know what the bloods will tell me and the X-ray. I'm expecting the latter to show nothing and the bloods to tell me I'm now officially diabetic! Pain in leg (which is a pain in the butt!) has moved and changed in the last couple of days, although I'm still getting twinges in the original site. I'm even more convinced that it's a soft tissue problem. Doesn't help with the walking though.

Will be collecting Dad for his respite break tomorrow afternoon so that could be interesting after a whole 2½ days without me seeing him. The longest it's been since his move. I'm hoping he's back to taking all his medication as he should do, as well as eating properly which he's not been. Still, one step at a time ...


Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: