Wednesday 29 July 2009

Yep, it's the ...

... middle of the night again and I've been up 1½ hours and awake for over 2½. I'll give it another ½ an hour or so and go back and try again and hope for at least another couple of hours sleep!
Superb service from Dad's new GP. Didn't get to speak to her until after 6pm on Monday regarding his meds but she got straight on the case and they were delivered from the pharmacy just before mid-day yesterday. Only problem - one of his eye drops wasn't there so I need to speak to her about that one. Seems to have been missed off of his prescription on the transfer from his previous GP. I'm sure it will get sorted out but it's a real nuisance at the moment. Just need to make sure it's put on his regular list so it goes on the repeat.

There are a couple of things I'm not happy with regarding the referrals made from rehab - they don't appear to have happened, or be happening and his District Nurse notes have disappeared so I can't see what's going on there. I have a phone number so reckon I need to use it to find out the current state of play so I can tell his carers as well. Don't know how me or his carers can do the best for Dad when we haven't a clue what's happening 'cos nobody is talking to us.

When I got to Dad's today there were feedback forms needing to be completed in respect of his stay in rehab ..... Hope they weren't expecting positive feedback 'cos if they were they're going to be hugely disappointed. There was a form for me to complete and one for Dad to do. I was quite surprised at his answers when I read the questions out to him. Seems he wasn't that impressed with what went on there either ... and I thought he was after his initial upset with it.

On a positive note ... Dad looked so much more comfortable today when I saw him. He looked more relaxed and I think he may be finally settling to his new home. He's definitely settling to his new carers - Mike in the morning and John in the afternoon. Both really nice guys so I'm happy that they're doing their best for him and .... they talk to me! They're telling me what they're finding and what they've learnt about him and asking questions. They're even suggesting what changes they think should be made to suit him better and I've not disagreed with one of them yet. What they're suggesting will bring him back more to the routine he used to have for himself, rather than the routine that has been implemented because it was what rehab had suggested (and never was to Dad's liking!). Just need to talk to the care manager to get the changes done.

Just get these 'teething' problems out of the way and we may, just may, have cracked it! Time will tell .....

Saw my consultant about my leg/hip problem and, as suspected the 'result' from the MRI wasn't available. By 'result' it means that the radiographer's report wasn't yet available however, the pictures from the MRI were and the problem is definitely my hip joint (also confirmed by bone scan) and not soft tissue at all so, in this instance I've been totally wrong. Even to my untrained eye I could see that there is a problem. Left hip ball joint .... lovely and smooth, just as it should be. Right hip ball joint - well, craters on the moon came to mind! Consultant has given me 2 possible diagnoses. Neither is good but one is preferable to the other as it stands a small chance of righting itself in time - the other ... really no chance at all and will only get worse. Guess which one I'm hoping it is (and leaning towards after he told me how it happens) - lol! Definite diagnosis won't be made until the report is through but in the meantime it's 'business as usual' however, I'm now being referred to an Orthopedic Surgeon, not necessarily for surgery at this stage (that's a completely last resort) but because they will investigate further and this consultant feels that I 'need to be on their radar'! He's also advised me to 'work closely with my GP' ....

Now I need to talk to the balloon company 'cos I really, really want to do my flight but I shall need to sit for some of the flight and I don't think the landing would be too much of a problem as long as I brace properly. If they're happy to accommodate me then I'll give it a go. I'll take the risk if they will!

Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: