Friday 30 October 2009

Decision made ...

... for now!

I had a good chat with the nurse who was going to do my pre-op assessment. Note - was going to do! I've 'deferred' it - or, as she put it ... paused it. She was as surprised as me at how quickly it's all happened. Bit like a steam train really and hasn't given me much time to think about it (as consultant suggested) or even come to terms with it and accept that I might need the op! She said that I could be OK in around 10 weeks after the op ... when I'm due to go on holiday ... as most people are, but there is no guarantee and I could also have a fair bit of post-op pain. She sort of advised, if I wasn't in any pain, that I paused it and had holiday first. It will give me a bit more 'thinking' time and also time to get my head round it all and I can put it in motion again by contacting GP just before I go away in February so I could have it in March, which is when I expected if I'm honest.

It seems that there isn't a 3-4 month waiting list, it's more weeks, although she says mine did come through extremely quickly. She did suggest that perhaps I could talk to GP with a view to having a 2nd opinion because of my doubts, as I've no pain (but she said that could change in a matter of days or weeks) and there's been no other alternative treatment suggested or tried. What she did say was that the problem with seeing a surgeon is that they want to cut straight away - lol! She said, even if pain starts to come in again, there are other treatments available like injections. After I'd made decision nice nurse said she thought I'd made the right one for now ...

I've been looking up what type of exercise is recommended and it's all the usual - swimming, cycling, walking, aquarobics and the one I'm leaning towards starting with, because of my breathing, pilates - to strengthen the core muscles and increase flexibility. I've got to consciously keep a straight back as well 'cos I've started leaning badly when I walk and that doesn't help the lower back or knee. I've decided I ain't having any operation just yet, not before I've had my holiday and I've tried other things to get me walking properly! It will also give me more time to get my head round it all.

As I said before, it's gone like a steam train and I've not really had time to really believe I need an op .... if I do! There's a lot of people a lot worse off than me who do and don't get it.

Next time I'm down the Leisure centre for a massage or facial I'm going to see if they do any pilates classes... ☺

Thanks for dropping by .....

1 comment:

Pam Swadling said...

Glad you've made your decision Pam. As you say, it all happened so quickly and it is a major op. No point in possibly spoiling the holiday of a lifetime for something that you can defer until after said holiday. Hope the pilates or what ever else you try works for you.


pam