Saturday 21 November 2009

National Lottery ...

... was 15 years old on 19th November. Although I couldn't remember the year I can remember the event well. It was the year that I ventured out into the world on my own. Yep, it was the very first time I holidayed solo and the very first Lottery draw took place the day after I came home.

At that time there was only the Saturday draw and the jackpots were very high (averaging £8m a draw) - as were the winnings for matching more than 3 numbers. It's always been £10 for matching 3 but for matching more - well, it was a worthwhile win. I used to run a works syndicate of 10 and I can remember that the week before the Wednesday draw started we won by matching 5 numbers. Real excitement as we collected £4,423. A couple of weeks later, after the Wednesday draw had started, the family syndicate matched 5 numbers and won a paltry £600/800-ish (can't remember the exact amount it was so memorable - NOT! *lol*). The difference was due to people not buying extra but by dividing their spend over the 2 weekly draws. If the idea was that there would be more added to the charitable coffers by having 2 draws they were wrong and the reduced jackpots (now averaging around £4m on a Saturdday, less on a Wednesday) and prizes for the Saturday draw shows that. To this day I have never taken part in the Wednesday draw and spend no more than £2 a week - £1 as an individual and £1 in the family syndicate .... They sure don't get rich from me!

Anyway, my holiday? 10 days in Malta and I really enjoyed it. I met some lovely people and Christmas cards are still being sent between some of us but things move on and unfortunately one of the ladies I met - a dear, sweet lady - died a couple of years ago. She was my dinner table companion and she drew me into the group that she'd made friends with. We all did our own thing through the day but met up in the evenings. We certainly had some escapades, including ending up in a gay bar in the middle of St Julian's (don't ask!) but it was fun. The island was fascinating, steeped in so much history. I went back 5 years later to take more of it in.

Funny what things can jog a memory ...

Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: