Monday 24 January 2011

Well ...

... that didn't last long! Did my morning post on the forum then promptly forgot the blog! Anyways, here's what I put this morning on the forum ...

"Good morning from a dull and dismal south coast. Had a good day yesterday. Visit from eldest and partner then trashed the kitchen making banana loaf. Think I know why I haven't baked for so long ... the mess to clear up afterwards. Loaf took twice as long to cook as recipe said but house smelt lovely while it was cooking. Just hope it's nicer than the muffins were but it smells good (as did they) and looks good (as did they) so I'm hoping. Not tried it 'cos thought I'd surprise Paul when he gets home today. Proper cooking duty starts today so I'm making a Moroccan lamb shepherds pie later."

As I'm late posting I can update this a bit.  It's still dull and dismal and hubby still not home.  Moraccan shepherd's pie hasn't been made as he's lunched at the hossie.  Decided to make some yellow split pea soup instead.  We love it and I've loved it ever since I was a tiddler.  Mum used to make it regularly, boiling up marrowbones for the stock, which used to set into a thick jelly.  Soaking the peas and then cooking them in the stock pushing it all through a sieve when cooked.  It was so thick and full of goodness and really tasty without having to add a thing.  Served with thick crusty bread and it made a meal on it's own.  Unfortunately, today, marrow bones are difficult to get hold of.  The nearest I can get to the taste of Mum's is by using the water that ham is boiled in however, boiled ham doesn't happen often *LOL*.  Luckily Knorr do ham stock cubes so they're not a bad alternative although still not the lovely marrowbone jelly *sad face*

Banana loaf, well it's actually a banana and pecan loaf ... looks OK, will report on taste at a later date *grin*

Ready for the oven


Nearly ready to come out of oven ...


... and finished with vanilla butter icing (but not sprinkled with chopped pecans)!


I got the recipe from the BBC Good Food site ... here  I'll let you know if it's worth baking *grin*  I have to say I love this site.  I cooked a stunningly tasty soup from here the other day.  Leek and potato ... you got to try it!  So simple to make but it's so more-ish!
 
Thanks for dropping by .....

2 comments:

Natu. said...

Wooow, beautiful! ^^

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope you husband got to come home and his recovery can begin. Thumbs are a bad deal..mine is still not right with the world but it is getting better..forget about gripping anything heavy with it..I am becoming left handed!
Your banana bread looks yummy!
Happy Birthday this weekend! :)