Thursday 14 August 2014

A quick catch up ...

... and a decision.  I've never really intended neglecting the blog in the way I have for as long as I have but somehow, when there's nothing of worth to blog about every day nothing gets done at all *sad*  I've decided I'm going to try and post at least once a week as that way I may have something worth blogging about but it's not so bad if I've not.  It will continue to be a mix of personal and crafty but probably more of the former (although I can catch up a bit from over the months - *LOL!*)  I'm going to try a regular post on a .... Monday?  We'll see how it goes and, I know it's not Monday but going to try and start it now *grin*

I've mentioned one major event that's happened this year - the transformation of our living room.  This followed the bathroom to wetroom makeover at the end of 2012 and the boiler and living room fire replacement last year.  Bedroom doesn't need doing (phew) but the kitchen needs a major declutter and deep clean.  That is the next job.  Could do with a new kitchen, if I'm honest, but not sure I could put up with another few weeks of disruption.  7 weeks for the bathroom refit and 7 weeks for the living room/hallway in less than 2 years is enough .... for now!

Earlier this year there was another major turning point - we learnt that OH's cancer had spread.  We knew it had been found in a lymph node when he was diagnosed back in 2010 but now it's spread to the base of his bladder and 'a spot' has been found in a pelvic bone.  He's had his medication revised and he's also having 4 weekly injections (more like infusions) in the local chemo suite.  It's not chemo but it's something that is designed to help strengthen his bones to try to alleviate the cancer spreading any further.  Apparently prostate cancer is slow growing and they've assured us that the prognosis is still for a normal life span - however long that may be for an already 74 year old, despite him only looking in his late 50s/early 60s! Unfortunately the side effects of this infusion are - well, were - horrendous!  After the first couple he lost 2 weeks of the 4 but the last one he had, although there were some, they weren't as bad.  Could be because he'd actually spoken to somebody about it and medication was prescribed to help.  How long these will last for we have no idea but we know he's to have them, at least, to the end of October.  I guess they then judge if they're being useful or not and then make the decision as to whether to carry on or stop.  We'll see.

I joined in with friends on our own personal 'fat club'.  I only joined to keep them company, not expecting anything to happen but I've gone from being just into the obese BMI range to bordering on the normal in just over 12 weeks.  Dead chuffed I am.  I'm now the lightest I've been in around 20 years and not much to go until I'm what I was 30 years ago.  I'll stick at that *grin*  I think, if I lose any more than that I'd look ill and I'd rather look well instead of gaunt - lol!

A bit of craft?  I few weeks ago I attended an all day workshop held by Clair to celebrate her 40th birthday. Here's some of the cards I made from that workshop.  There were 12 in total - I'll show a few at a time *grin* Have to say, we didn't get all 12 made on the day.  I managed to make 4 and prepped the rest, finishing them at home.

Definitely a Stampin' Up doily die.  Ink sponged from centre out to colour delicately.
SU Butterfly punches - the rest is reasonably obvious.
Pretty sure the background stamp and the poppy stamp were Stampin' Up but don't hold me to that :)
I coloured with Prismacolor pencils
Spellbinders Bitty Blossoms for the flowers.
Heartfelt Creations greeting stamp.
Not sure on the embossing folder, border or the leaf die.

Thanks for dropping by .....

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments: